Psychologists of the Plantagenet Family Health Team are part of a paraprofessional team. Psychologists are able to help people develop skills that will assist them in solving problems in their day to day lives and in their community. Psychologists work closely with your family physician and other interdisciplinary team members to provide you with various assessments, counselling and social emotional support services.
The psychologists of the Plantagenet Family Health Team provide short-term, solution focused counselling interactions. Your healthcare provider will refer you to the psychologist for; one to one counselling and/or group education, and psychology assessments.
When to refer to the Family Health Team psychologist
- Patient needs short term counselling regarding mobilizing existing strengths/resources, referral to other providers and/or advocacy for required services.
- Patients discharged from hospital who require support but do not qualify for CCAC may also be referred.
- Liaison with the broader mental health system to ensure continuity of care for patients requiring more intensive interventions.
Three major purposes of psychologist are:
- to enhance the problem-solving, coping and developmental capacities of people.
- to promote the effective and humane operation of the systems that provide people with resources and services.
- to link people with systems that provide them with resources, services, and opportunities.
Psychologists are available to provide assistance with a variety of presenting concerns:
- Grief and loss
- Marital/relationship problems
- Work or school related problems
- Chronic disease Management
- Child Psychology assessment/referrals
The psychologist works with patients in need of psychological help. An assessment is made of the patient's psychological functioning and interventions are suggested as needed. Interventions may include connecting patients to necessary resources and supports in the community; providing psychotherapy, supportive counseling, grief counseling, anxiety management, stress management, and chronic pain management.