Registered Dietitians have an in-depth scientific knowledge of food and nutrition and integrate this knowledge with their training in other disciplines including health and social sciences, education, communication and management. Dietitians are the recognized food and nutrition professionals in Canada.
Registered Dietitians provide Dietary and Nutrition services for which Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Allied Health staff may refer patients. Individual treatments and/or education programs are offered according to need.
Examples of patient situations suitable for referral are:
- Chronic Diseases such as Dyslipidemia, Hypertension
- Conditions suitable for treatment through healthy eating
- Diabetes, Impaired Fasting Glucose, Impaired Glucose Tolerance
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Chronic Renal Failure
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Gastro Intestinal diseases such as; Celiac, Crohn’s, Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diverticulitis
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Weight Loss
- Nutrition during pregnancy and integration of food in infants
- Infants, Poor Weight Gain, Poor Food Intake